It’s that time when we all start reflecting on the year past and the new year ahead. As I plan to do nothing but write for the remainder of 2022, it’s safe to say these were my ‘Best Nine’ highlights from 2022 (by photo order, L-R, row by row):
1. My short story, Reconsecration, in the Warhammer40k anthology – Inferno Presents: The Emperor’s Finest (Black Library)
3. My selection into the First Break WA program, where I was trained on the workings of a TV writers’ room.
4. Being a guest at the Big Sky Readers and Writers Festival in Geraldton. We were treated superbly well and even given a day tour to the Abrolhos Islands. It was great!
5. Attending my first CinefestOz Film Festival in Busselton, which awards the richest film prize in Australia. I had a fabulous time and hope to attend again in 2023.
6. Winning the Scribe Award for ‘Best Novel – General’, for Pandemic: Patient Zero (Aconyte Books). Not only is the award itself gorgeous, but this win meant a lot to me, personally.
7. The ‘End of the Road’ KISS concert. It was my third time seeing KISS and they never disappoint. I’m pictured with one of my brothers and my sister-in-law. The family that rocks together, stays together.
8. The exciting news that the producers of The Subjugate’s TV adaptation (Aquarius Films and Anonymous Content) received development funding from Screen Australia. There’s still a long way to go before we see it on the screen, but it’s a promising step forward.
9. Pulling together and hosting a panel on behalf of the Australian Writers Guild (WA chapter) at the Revelation Film Festival, with guests Producer Tania Chambers (How To Please A Woman), Director Ben Young (Clickbait – Netflix), and Screenwest representative, Martha Coleman. It was a fantastic chat and insightful discussion.
And though I ran out of room, I’d also like to celebrate the fact that 2022 saw my first international translations with PATIENT ZERO being released in both French and German!
It was a pretty good year!
So, what does 2023 have in store? Well, I have a bunch of original work coming out, but I’ll talk more about that in January!
Wishing you a Happy New Year!